Sunday, October 9, 2011

Stories of September

-Riding 5 hours on a motorcycle with 2 other people to cross the Dominican border to get my passport renewed. Beautiful, but returned with sore knees & a dirty face (literally). Corruption at borders is no joke...they warn you to not let people take your passport. But I figured once I was in the building by a desk that wouldn't happen. Someone professional asked for our passport and 50 USD (someone told me it was 40, so I figured the price just went up). Joe, a military guy, only gave him 40 to see what would happen & saw the guy pocket it. So Joe of course approached him while I translated...although the guy pretended not to understand me but with Joe there he gave up! The real worker only asked 10 USD, which could have been pocketed too who knows. Then, get our stamp into Haiti again, I was passed but then they tried to ask Joe for some money. So I came over & asked why Joe was getting charged but I wasn't. The guy gave me a look and stamped Joe's passport! Wow- pocket money for these people!
-We're basically trying to help this hospital run like a real hospital with policies & procedures because it's poorly run. Not an easy or fast task to change things that are already run, especially when you are met with resistance. Starting something new is probably easier.
-I'm glad I found someone in the choir to connect with, Jorene. I enjoy going to the choir, singing, & learning more Kreyol but I have a hard time connecting with them. The educated and better off Haitians are actually slightly harder to connect with than other Haitians. Although the tough part with the super poor is you feel like you don't have enough to give them all what they need.
-The hard part all in all is filtering who is just using you and who really needs the help. And just wanting to be friends sometimes.
-RAIN: something Haitians are afraid of. Twice now, they have said you better not go out it's going to rain. We smiled and thought, silly it's not a big deal. We left the grocery store no more than 10 mins after the rain started (deciding to leave instead of waiting inside like the rest of the Haitians) and we were taught a lesson. The road was completely flooded about 1 feet & flowing fast. We were going to risk crossing the basically sewer water, but decided against it. I guess we should have listened to the Haitians.
-We received another spinal patient, 33 year old male, that was struck by a car driven by his friend while he was playing dominoes on the sidewalk. He's almost a complete paraplegic, but still has some sensation. It's always hard and has to be repeated that he probably won't walk again. I get so connected to these patients and family. But out of all of this, his biggest concern was could he have sex again because he doesn't have kids yet (people aren't shy about this subject in Haiti...they shouldn't be. It is a medical question).
-I'm getting lots of practice with bowel & bladder regime, pin care, wound care, etc. Seeing what works best in this environment. I think I need a wound care class though! Unfortunately Haiti (no by choice, but because of neglect & unsafe care) becomes a "testing" ground for what happens you do this wrong or don't do it. Won't go into those stories though...I love the Haitian nurses, but the work ethic needs working on. Sometimes I have to choose safe patient care over being friends with nurses (some of them get offended & annoyed with me now)
-Calling patients on the phone is funny but frustrating. You have to repeat things multiple times and I even had his dad yell to his kid "how old are you?" when I asked him how old his child was.
-People do not wait in lines here. It's not considered rude to jump ahead...it's like survival of the fittest here!
-I've now seen 3 people die of pulmonary embolisms (blood clot in lung), and 3 people get small ones. And almost all of them were femoral neck or pelvic fractures! Ugh...the reason I don't like getting these fractures because they usually come in 1 week post injury and very high risk at that point for blood clots. Last guy ended up being a U.S. Citizen (the family conviently left that out until they wanted to take him to the states)
-Oh what a joy it will be when you tests can done properly, on time, & the lab doesn't run out of the supplies (not because it's not here...b/c the manager isn't keeping track & buying a stock before the other one runs out)....I guess it just building my work character to tackle these challenges.
-I'm sooo sad I had to miss my close cousin, Steph's wedding. Happy for her and Ray :)
-They finally did the spinal surgery on that guy. He's been slow to get moving for therapy. On Saturday night, I came down when ZJ & Emily had him sitting up. His sisters asked me to read Psalm 51 and then pray. I did that and instead of wanting to lie down, he asked us to slowly let go so he could sit by himself (he was putting all his weight on ZJ). And He did. Never underestimate the power of God through His word and prayer. I love seeing them go from depressed to slowly accepting what has come their way. In the states I was often too nervous or afraid of being judged or ridiculed by co-workers to pray with patients. I'm sorry that I missed out on opportunities. It's easier in this culture to pray because there's not much mocking even if they're not Christian. The world hated Jesus, so he warned us the world would hate us too. Help us not let that stop us from giving God the glory!
-After that instance, I've been praying & reading the bible with a couple patients in that room. One being a 20 year old girl with osteosacroma (bone cancer) in her hip with a bad fracture that can not be treated. She was admitted for pain control and now we're trying to figure out if amputating her life would make her live longer. The one time she was crying in pain while the nurse was getting the pain meds ready, but after we started reading the bible she stopped & took out her bible to read along. Another patient, Fanfon (a 50 year old police offer who had a cancerous malignant melanoma tumor removed from his foot) prays for us some nights. I liked the part where he prayed for God as their physician, the only one who can give or take away life, but also for the nurses and doctors that God has given the skills and medicine to assist.
-I appreciate the simplicity of their lives sometimes & how families care for each other basically because very few people can pay for nursing home or aids.
-I LOVE the countryside and mountainside in Haiti. I know country life isn't easy, but sometimes I wonderful if God intended more of a lifestyle like this. The silence, cooler & cleaner air, less tempting places, & just caring/tending to the earth we were placed in! It's hard to come to this simple & less money making lifestyle though. We drove through the Pine Forest. Amazing to see what Haiti would have looked like if it wasn't for the deforestation. The fruits & vegetables make the city food look sad/sick. The people spending time together at the end of the day (no TV, Internet, a million organizations to be involved in)...just talking (people more relationship oriented. I think we often distance ourselves b/c we think it's easier, but yet depression & loneliness is such a problem in America), playing games, and going to bed at a decent time. But it is hard work & have years that might not produce as well. I personally enjoyed the cool sleep, time to read, and hike a mountain! It started down pouring rain when we were on the mountain so we tried to hide under banana tree leaves. We still got drenched, but it was worth it and we continued on. I would have loved to have had time to talk to some of the people living on the mountains. Very different life & difficult. No water available...they have to hike up and down that big mountain for water and some foods.
-I probably don't talk about them enough...but Brittany, ZJ, Emily, & Jamo...awesome friends to share this experience & sometimes pretend we are not in Haiti experiences for a mental break hehe. Some of us exercise together, but we all make and enjoy wonderful meals almost everyday. Most the applaud goes to Brittany for being our amazing cook! I don't know how long I'd survive without their support and friendship.
-Wilshaw and I started doing 100 questions to ask before getting married! Super excited about this and of course the future marriage :) He does not get enough of my attention unfortunately.
-Sometimes I get frustrated in this culture because people don't seem to think you really want to learn Kreyol (I guess they don't see it as a useful language to learn)....but it is one of my joy's! I am sufficient and speak up to speed and understand up to speed. Don't know a fair amount of words...but most of the day to day words.
-I love how the one housekeeping worker, Ossee, took better care of my patient than the nurses (turning her to get her off of her sores & making gloves with water to elevate her heels).
-Exercises is good, no matter what form you get it in!
-Why was there no one in the only country hospital. Is it because people can't afford it or people are healthier? Good discussion question
- I always have to much on my to do list and rarely get enough sleep. I don't think I have more important things than those who go to bed at normal hours (especially because I don't have kids). What do I need to cut out?
- I can't believe I only have 3 months left...bitter sweet.
-It rains a lot during the rainy season!

-Looking back at my time here, the people I've met, all the food memories, and times I wish I would have spent more time with a patient or friend. The times I was frustrated & impatient. I wish I could erase. Time flies, so I hope to care deeply for those set in my path. I don't want to miss opportunities with my patients & friends (and enemies).
-I have to have faith that God will provide in the next move/stage (marriage & move to Dallas) in my life because he certainty did for me to make it to Haiti.
-I got to see 3 of the 5 spinal patients I've taken care of at HAH when we took our new spinal patient to St. Boniface. It was a joy! I enjoyed St. Boniface and it sounds like a hospital I would enjoy worker at better. Surrounded by mountains, countryside & closure to the ocean. They said the biggest problem is gossip because it's a small town!
-I like taking care of spinal patients here, but not sure if I would like it in the states. Not actually sure what I want to do in the States, but God will provide something. I have dreams, but sometimes I don't know whats realistic. I want to accept wherever I'm placed and be effective there. The grass always looks greener on the other side. I'm also trying to prepare my heart for marriage because it's a big commitment and responsibility to be a godly wife.
- I enjoyed watching "Up." first move in awhile. Fun every once in awhile

-The things that just make Haiti, Haiti and my 2nd home:
-No safety regulations
-Beautiful countryside ride on the motorcycle (mountains on the one side and ocean on the other)
-Transportation goal is not meant to keep you comfortable but hopefully get you there in one piece
-People (anyone) block the only road between the north and PaP for anything...such as in protest of no water channel.
-Chauffeurs can answer the question to the passenger who said (on the boat) I'm getting all wet, with the response "well you know how it is" and points out a tarp if he wants it.
-Because of this, Haitians tend to bond (I believe) and are more relationship oriented
-The gas ran out in the middle of the country, so we walked until we found a neighbor whom gave Robenson a container to put gas in while I waited at their house. I'm pretty sure they were the musician stereotype, but nice family who kept me company and gave me some of their breakfast.
-Etc...It's funny how you get get accustomed to what most Americans would call uncomfortable and dangerous. But sometimes you do miss the things that you call home. (I have a hard time sleeping without a fan, a comfortable toilet, gum)
-I love getting to see Gamide (the compassion girl I sponsor) and Elisabeth (Pastor's wife who just had a baby).I guess the doctor told Elisabeth she has to stop giving the baby so much milk. She peed all over me today when I was holding her. Only problem with holding babies here because they don't -always have the funds for diapers.
-Visit with Gamide was much more relax because we knew each other. We played games, went to the market, made a meal, and went to the beach. I got to spend 2 days with her this visit before she started school. They have a cistern in their backyard for water so that is nice. We used that water to drink which I was surprised but hey I didn't get sick. I got into the beach fully clothed because they were more covered so I didn't want to be offensive! Kept away the blan yells though. We practiced floating because no one could swim except me. Micalerme's (our compassion guide) brought his 2 daughters. On the way back, there was this 3 year old boy that really want the opportunity to be near me so much that he was yelling & running to catch up. So I held his hand and talked a little before I told him he had to return home.
-Haitians have no issue sharing towels (learned that when I joined Gospel Kreyol and we went away for the night. I forgot my towel and so did another girl so all 3-4 of us shared the same towel).
-Robenson got delayed 3 hours picking me up, so that lead to some interesting conversations as people though it was an odd site to see a blan sitting by herself reading a book. Also, seeing me on a motorcycle humored a lot of Haitians today, especially when we got stuck in the mud.
-It's interesting when you get to see the 2nd side of Haiti. The small group of well off elite Haitians. Don't get me wrong, there are still more well off Americans and a lot of middle class live well. I guess it just strikes you more because of the devastation & extreme poverty Haitians live. The rich don't care about the poor in Haiti.
-I had fun getting dressed up & having a more fancy concert, but I'm glad most of our concerts are for the common people. We had a celebration of Gospel Kreyol concert at a fancy convention center. I could tell everyone was singing from their heart and praising so it turned out to be beautiful! I really enjoyed the dueling pianists. Everyone had fun taking pictures.
-We made equal fridge space & more rules for long term volunteers to help prevent issues & unfairness.

Well that's been my life in the last month :) Ups and downs as always, but still blessed and trying to serve Jesus here in Haiti.

2 comments:

  1. You definitely know how to bring an issue to light and make it important.
    I cant believe your not more popular because you definitely have the gift.
    Home Nursing

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks...Every new experience helps you grow & mold your character. Not here to be popular, but just share my thoughts & experiences. Someone had mentioned home nursing to me...we'll see what doors God opens for me next. Blessings!

    ReplyDelete