Monday, September 13, 2010

Week 1

9/7/10 (1614)

     Wow! What a drastic change being in Haiti. I thought it would be no problem since I open to change & most things, but I think only getting 2 hours of sleep makes you cranky plus not eating for awhile. So I'm so thankful for food & taking a nap. I think I am just a little overwhelmed with cutlure shock. I pray all the time for people who are less fortunate and now I get to live like they do. It is good to walk in their shoes. It is frustrating at times, but I can't even begin to complain. I still think I am living better than most Haitians.
     The airport was so hot, chaotic, & confsing but someone led me over to Pastor Robenson. We came to his house and talked with his girlfriend, Elisabeth. She is so nice & pretty. Just hard since she only speaks a little english & I only know about 2 words in Creole.
     We bought a cell phone, gas, & rice/chicken dish before I took a nap. The city (Port Au Prince) is so busy- lots of people, outside shops, & crazy driving. I still don't think there are driving laws.
     Two interesting things were going the bathroom & showering without running water (in a house). Pee in the toilet & then flush it by gravity from water pumped from the ground. I showered with a big spider & cockroach. The cold water felt good but I started sweating right again.
     We drove at 7pm to get spring water for me to shower with. I met some of his friends. He has me talk to his friends on the phone that speak English. He has a house phone that can call America for no extra charge (I don't know how it works. My parents said it was a Florida number that was calling).
     I praise God for safe travel, food, & water. And I pray that I can hear Him guiding me on this missions.

9/8/10 (1345)

     Thank you Heavenly Father for bringing us safely to Grace Orphanage. I got to pass through many cities- Saint Marc, Pierre Payen, & now we are L'estiere (not sure if spelling). It is so interesting to see all types of houses- some of brick, some of tin, some very colorful. The land is filled with palm trees, plantation trees, & rice fields. The ocean water is crystal blue.
     It is a joy to meet the 25 children. We were all shy at first but then we warmed up with song, prayer & bible. Then the kids wanted to play- we played a hand game in the circle. The kids wanted to touch my hands, fingernails, hair & even my sweat. (yes my whole body is non-stop sweating but I keep drinking b/c I do not want to get dehydrated. It is just so humid).
     I hope to be able to speak & understand creole soon! Pastor wanted me to take a rest in the afternoon (even though I didn't think I was tired), but as soon as I sat down, I fell asleep. The heat & humidity does something to you. I woke up to the sounds of children singing & playing, birds chirping, & lunch being made. (I haven't eaten anything since lunch yesterday except a granola bar so I'm hungry!)
     I feel that I am starting to adjust to the culture & lifestyle better today. I am trying not to be ethnocentric (viewing other cultures in a way that American culture is above theirs) but it is hard not to think about how we do things. Random things I've noted:
-I saw only 2 stop signs & we didn't stop at either.
-There can not be too many driving laws. I don't think they give out traffic tickets.
-There is no lines on the road & people pass whenever (even on curves) by honking their horn.
-They fit as many people as possible into cars & motorcycles (even sit on top of tall buses & trucks)
-The children in Grace Orphanage bathe in the stream.
-It seems that most people are very intrigued to watch me (but that's OK because I love to people watch too!)
     Thank You again Lord for providing all of our daily needs. There is even a fridge that stays on part of the day to keep the water cool to drink. I am glad for this chance to serve, learn, and share Your Truth in Haiti. There is probably so much that I am forgetting, but this is all for now.

9/8/10 (1900)

     Jesus, I have so many reasons to give You thanks! The rain came and I stopped sweating! Now it feels so nice outside. I also want to thank You because I have not gotten a headache despite not eating a meal for 26 hours, heat, & constant sweating. I know You are taking care of me. The cold water is such a delight.
     We all ate dinner together (rice & beans; carrots, pasta dish, & 10 small pieces of chicken for 30 people). It was very yummy! They know how to season well. Thank You Lord for keeping me healthy. Oh, and the Haitian Juice was delicious.
     I think I am in a better mood now that I got sleep & it is cooler (less humid I should say). I'm actually starting to enjoy bathing in a bucket. (I've always talked of conserving water & now I'm doing it to the max). Only thing I do not like is the Haitians throw the trash anywhere & everywhere- could be some reasons for some of the disease issues. It seems to eventually end up in the rivers & oceans.
    I guess we may litter less in America, but we sure use more resources than we need.We just hide our trash better in the landfills.
     I really like Pastor's family. They are very nice & hard-working on very little money. They love the Lord & treat the children well. I will make it my missions to continue to support & help out the orphanage. Here is the upcoming website that you can donate if you want when it becomes a 501c3: 
                http://haiti-orphanage.org

     The children are being brought up in the truth of Jesus Christ & raised in love. However, there is a lot of needs- school, enough food, clean water, doctor visits, etc. So I thank You, Lord, for providing this experience to spend time with my brothers & sisters in Christ in Haiti. I feel safe. Pastor has not let me out of his sight unless I am in the locked room or with his family. Donna (the lady setting up his orphanage as a charity) told him to keep me very safe, let me rest, and to make sure I got enough food and water. So he is doing that for me.
     I am learning some words & phrases. The pronunciation is different than what I know (English & Spanish) so I have to repeat it a lot and the kids giggle.Well, I am writing by candlelight and the candle is almost out so it is time for me to go to bed. It's so early but it's dark and raining out. We get up by 6am everyday. I like having a routine sleep schedule. Oh another different thing is water in a plastic bag- you bite the end off & squeeze it in your mouth. The outside of the bag is probably not as sanitary, but the water is just as good!

9/9/10 (1606)

     Wow, Lord, my emotions go all over the place. I need to take a break because I think I'm dehydrated & exhausted. It's hard to have a lot of energy in this heat (God Bless these kids...I guess I grew up without A/C too- easier when your little I guess. I'm starting not to mind it too much...you just get used to it). & it's taxing not understanding the language.
     I am learning some words and that is exciting! I really like Elisabeth (Pastor's finance)- if we could understand each other better I think we could be good friends.
      Today I woke up around 0630- I didn't sleep too well last night b/c I napped during the day & wasn't tired at 8pm. The house is open so all the noises kept waking me up- especially when the roosters & dogs in the entire neighborhood starting going at 2am until 6am. Every morning we have morning time singing, prayers & studying the bible. I even played my flute. I gave the dresses out to the girls & got pictures with each child. They are becoming very interactive with me. My new name is blanc (I'm assuming that is white in creole)
     We drove to another town to try to go to the bank, but the car broke down. So we got out and the kids & I played. I saw 2 UN Trucks drive by, so I know they are out there keeping guard. So I've been living on the edge- there is not working seat belt in the truck & then to get me home when the car broke down we caught a motorcycle taxi with 4 people on a 2-seater. No helmet or protective gear of course. It felt nice to feel the wind blowing, but I still don't like motorcycles because I know how hurt you can get after working on a trauma floor.
     We had rice & avocado for lunch. I took a nap & ibuprofen to prevent a headache- it went away. The kids are so playful & a couple of the older boys love to talk & dance. I just wish I could understand them.
     At times I feel homesick. I wish I had a close friend here with me. I am a talker, and it's so weird not to talk a lot. Well, I am going to hang out some more. Oh, by the way I was eaten alive by the mosquitoes last night. What a difference a mosquito net makes. All these children should have one, but none of them do.

***It's 9/13/10....I am going to finish posting tomorrow night for the rest of this week so stayed tuned***

9/14/10 (2227)

      Lord, thank You for another day to be alive and thank You for providing all that I need. Being here makes me question if I am greedy & spoiled. Living in America compared to others I thought I wasn't too greedy, but being here I feel like a spoiled brat! I know You will work in my heart to make me more like You.
     We had morning service with the children before driving back to PaP. Lord, I saw an image today that really shook me up. I thought a boy was laying on the side of the street, but at closer look he was laying face down dead in his blood. I see a lot of grotesque things as a nurse, but this really bothered me. We were eating breakfast, but I couldn't finish because my stomach felt queasy. They were guessing he was probably hit by a car or fell off of a car.
     But on a more positive note, I could communicate with some children who spoke Spanish. I am not fluent in Spanish, but I know it enough to get by. I've noticed I've started thinking in Spanish because it's the only non English language I know. It is so wonderful! I also spoke with a Haitian women about my age tonight and we practiced creole. These are the moments that make this trip worthwhile. She (Nedyre) even wrote me a very nice letter.
     After having a long talk with my family and Wilshaw, I am feeling in much better spirits. I talk a lot, so not being able to talk out my feelings and deeper conversations has been frustrating. But, I do want to be a part of Grace Orphanage. The family is bringing these kids up in the truth and love of God so I want to support that. But they have lots of needs- food, clean water, school (the kids do not go to school because there is none they can attend in L'estiere), doctor visits. The one boy appears to have cerebral palsy, but he was not diagnosed by a doctor. So I will work to raise support with Donna- she is taking ownership of the orphanage to make it a charity 501c3. She has been giving lots of talks to raise support. They plan is to move the children into the house the Pastor lives in in PaP so the kids can go to school. And they need a car to drive the children.
     It is so wonderful to be around Your servants. It helps me to get out of my "comfort" bubble and work hard for others in need. We also visited Medishare Hospital- looks more like a hospital now that is it in a building. I was so glad that I got to see Pastor Edry (I met him last time in February)- he is doing wonderful things in Your name too.
     We visited another orphanage in Pap that held about 70 children. It was big and spacious. I think we want to do something similar (but not for that many children) for the children at Grace Orphanage. We ate at a restaurant by the University and I had a chicken sandwich. They had a toilet & sink with running water (such luxury around here).
     So now, it is almost 11pm (latest I've stayed up). Thank You for keeping Klair & Bok safe (my friends in Fort Lauderdale where I stayed a couple days were robbed the day I left for Haiti). There is nothing more we should do than praise You. Yes, bad things happen but we can still Praise You.

9/11/10 (2211)

     I slept very well last night with a fan! We woke up bright and early at 6am (I don't think I'll ever be sleeping in but that's OK. I'll take a routine sleeping pattern over rotating day and night shift). I hung out with Nedyre this morning. It was so wonderful to read the bible, play my flute, and sing along to a Michael W. Smith (gospel) CD. I really liked hanging out with her and I wish I could but I'll be leaving Pap.
     I actually felt cool all morning until we went out into the PaP busyness. The driving is so dusty & you're sweating so you come back feeling gross. I think I like the country more than PaP. But before we went out I hung out with some of the people who live at the house- the one little boy was so curious of me but he didn't want to come to close to me. He started crying when someone put him right beside me.
     We toured the house- lots of decent rooms for the children. There's not really a good kitchen, but in due time. We drove by the school the orphans would go to and the university. Then I met up with Samaritan's Purse. I was so thankful for Pastor Robenson's hospitality. I am glad I could see the orphanage and I want to make it part of my missions. I'd like to be actively involved in the years to come.
    But, Lord, it has been good to be around people I can fully communicate with. The people are Samaritan's Purse are wonderful & have amazing life stories. This is going to be a good experience and I know You will guide us as we service the Haitians. They employee a lot of Haitians, which is good.
     This compound is so luxurious compared to the last couple of days. Running water, food 3 times per day, mosquito net & big fans! It makes you think. But I was treated very well by Pastor & his family. Wow- I still remember all the precious children who have so little but are so happy. They don't know anything else. I was getting good at pumping water to flush the toilet in the Pastor's house and also bathing from the bucket. I'm not going to lie though, the running water shower felt so good tonight! Well it is bedtime! Bonwet (goodnight)


9/12/10 (0646)

     We had a tropical storm last night, but I slept so well. What a difference mosquito nets make. More Haitians need them to prevent malaria and dengue fever. The wind feels so good.

9/12/10 (2200)


    Thank You Lord for all the wonderful people I am meeting. We woke up early and went to a church service. There is something so joyful about going to church in another country- I think it is because that is how it will be in Heaven. It was so awesome because they sang the songs in creole and then in english. I am trying to learn the language. I trust that God will give me patience, a quick mind to learn, and a good teacher. I'm willing to pay a Haitian who speaks english well to tutor me. Unfortunately, the Haitians who speak english  have it much better off than those who do not.
     So I was sent on the medical team to Leoganne. It was a 2.5 hour drive.- such a luscious and beautiful place, but it was devastated severely from the earthquake. This was the epicenter of the earthquake on January 12th. We are going out on mobile clinics M-F to provide walk-in care. I am a little nervous because it is out of my normal routine of practice but I know that God has provided me a good nursing education so I will adjust. I am getting fed spiritually here and making friends. The food is very good and we have A/C military style tents! Wow!! lol, I guess I won't be sweating all night.

9/13/10 (2141)

     What a delight to be alive another day! I have been so spoiled here- salmon for breakfast & steak for dinner. The food really is good. Haitians know how to season well. And they have a laundry service here. This is crazy- I don't have to cook or do my laundry for 6 months. I'm not going to know what to do with myself when I get back.
     We had our first clinic today in the mountain. I've been pondering how some of the most beautiful places in the world has the most poverty-striken people. but I also wondered how beautiful it would look if they lived like us in America. I dunno, just a thought.
      The clinic was in Grande Connova (not sure how to spell it) in a church that also serves as a school (as most churches do in Haiti I was told). School starts back up October 4th. We saw 72 patients in 5 hours with only one doctor! There were 2 nurses doing triage (vital signs, patient's reason for visit), one doctor to asses & diagnose, and 2 nurses to be the pharmacy & discharge instructions. The Haitian doctor was moving faster than me lol! He is an OB/GYN MD that just finished residency but he is good! Not arrogant though but caring. He told us about his 4-story house collapsing in the earthquake and that he made it out a second before it collapsed. He said he knows that is a miracle and God has a purpose for him- God sure does! Haitian doctors & nurses are needed greatly!
     We each had a translator. My translator's name is Charles. He lived in America for awhile so his English and creole was great. He has been working in the pharmacy for months so he was good. Able to teach me how to do things and translate. He me some phrases too. I just have to learn by repetition. "Bondye Beniw" (God Bless You)- I really have a hard time with this one!
     The children were fun to be around during our break. They were teaching us creole & we were teaching them english words by pointing out objects. I love their smiles and enthusiasm to help me learn creole. Someone said they would be the best teachers because they will practice it over and over without getting sick of it.
     In the clinic, we saw lots of infections (stomach worms, malaria, scabies, H. Pyloi, and fungal infections); a girl with asthma; lots of high blood pressure; fevers, pain, & coughs. It was interesting! The people are very patient- some waited 5 hours to be seen. There was a 2-year old with Left side flaccid. He had it for 1 year after an infection, but he was never taken to the doctor. His parents died in the earthquake, so now his grandma takes care of him. They were not sure if he had polio or a stroke, so we drove him to handicap international. The doctor there thought he had a cerebral hemiplasia and that with physical therapy, his left arm & legs could return to normal function. Keep him in your prayers!
     I'm so thankful that God provided me calmness and willingness to learn today. May we bring people to Christ though our medical care. There was a Pastor there to pray with each patient before they left.
     Side note, it is so amazing to shower in a stall without a roof to gaze into the sky. Our compound is a hotel ground that collapsed in the earthquake, so SP (Samaritan's Purse) is leasing it. It is right along the ocean. So wonderful to see the ocean & mountains together.

8 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing your experiences with us, Lynn. Even though we're not there, we can imagine and better understand Haiti through your eyes and your words.

    ReplyDelete
  2. God bless you Lynn..You are a very special person to me and my family...Thank you for keeping us in your prayers..luv yah girl:))
    Please take good care of yourself..I am feeling better as well...carter and duke are making me feel safer...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Lynn. How can I best pray for you? I am so proud of you! God bless you. Marilyn Snyder

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lynn,(sister Lan) thank you for sharing. Your description of everything brings back wonderful memories and makes me look forward even more to meeting you in Haiti next month. The children are wonderful, I am so glad you love them also.
    Donna

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks (mesi) for the feedback everyone :) Pray that I will stayed focused on what I am here to do; that I can pick up the language to communicate; that people will accept Christ. Pray that I will stay full of energy (this heat & humidity really wears on you). Bondye Beniou (God Bless You)!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey, sister! You have been doing so well at keeping up to date on your blog. It is amazing to read your thoughts and your day to day observations- it will be interesting for you to look back on all of this after you are back. Thanks for all the work you are doing and the commitment you feel to help everyone you are coming in contact with. I am sure it's not always easy- as you attest to- but GURL... just remember... THANK YOU, JESUS!!! Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lynn...we saw your Mom and Dad at Oregon Dairy restaurant today. I feel guilty about having so much here and you/Haitians having so little there. We will help as we can and pray for you and the Hatian people every day! I remember Haiti as treeless and poverty ridden, BUT with some of the most wonderful people I've ever met. Keep up the good work and your spirits. It is great to read your "diary". Love y'a kiddo !!!! Praise God for you !!!!!!!!!!!! Bob & Donna

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks Steph and Donna! Yes, I have met a lot of wonderful people!! I'm up north now so there are lots of trees here...just not in the mountains. Hope everything is going well for you! Bondye Beniou (God Bless You)

    ReplyDelete