Saturday, November 20, 2010

Week 10

7/11/10 (1630)

Well, it's week 10 already! Thank You God for Your mercy and grace on us in Haiti. The storm could have been much worse, but You moved the eye of the storm and slowed it down. You allowed the wedding to carry on yesterday.

I have been bad at taking time to sit down with You in communion these last couple of days. We've been on the go! Thursday and Friday I spent most of the day with Elisabeth and her family. I didn't take my camera because I was trying just fit in like a Haitian. Although Friday I wish I would have brought my camera because Elisabeth wanted pictures of her getting ready.

A large group of her friends were there on Thursday practicing a dance for the wedding. I met her mom and sisters. They are so loving and giving! It was fun helping them cook. Actually I was more learning than helping. It is just amazing what you can do and make with so little. Mwen pi remen bagay bwe se ji la Grenadia (my favorite thing to drink is the juice Passion Fruit). I made it this morning for everyone. Yum!

It was just exciting to use my Kreyol this couple days. It was funny because I was the translator at times for Donna. Like Mac said, the key is to try to the gist of what they are saying even if you can't understand every word. It's just so wonderful to be able to communicate with the local people. I think at times it takes people by surprise that I can speak it (of course I'm not even close to fluency).

It was funny because they tied up the chickens and roasters. I guess that was a wedding gift from Elisabeth's parents. I was scared of them pecking my feet they kept on cooking with them right below their feet. Elisabeth has 8 (she did have 9 but one passed). They seem like a loving family and the brothers seem to take care of their sisters well. They all seem to want to speak English too, so I was helping them with that. Robenson came to get me before the dinner finished on Thursday, so God bless the family because they walked 30 minutes with the food in a wheelbarrow to bring us it to eat. I still want to do something very special for them because they gave us passion fruit and a mellon. So generous.

Friday, I went with Elisabeth to get her nails done. They looked beautiful afterwards, but I don't know if I'd want it done because there is no sanitization of equipment. And the fake nails were all just in a bucket (not packaged) and she was filing over the customers nails over the bucket so it the fake nails were all dusty. Well in my concept I guess. But she did do a good job with the nails.

It was fun watching Elisabeth and her sisters try on each others clothes. The whole family is very beautiful, but the sisters all look so different! I can say that I really like Elisabeth- she is a beautiful person inside and out. She was very protective of me on the streets. Being a blan (foreigner/white) on the street draws a lot of attention. But I felt very safe with her. We were into all types of little neighbors- that was neat. I have no pictures of it, but just the wonderful memory. We were getting her hair done past sunset and it was funny because I kept my flashlight on just so she wouldn't mess up her painted toenails. But people automatically assumed that I was a blanc because of the flashlight. They mostly use candles, but just walk in the dark.

I was saddened over the fact that Robenson has not been the nicest to Elisabeth this week. Elisabeth told me Friday night as I was waiting to be picked up that she was sad. It broke my heart and all I knew to do was to pray with her. I tried to pray slow so she could understand some if it. She gave me the most genuine hug and kiss afterwards. I would like to stay close to her these next couple of months. Help her with her English and she can teach me how to cook Haitian food. And just grow closer as friends.

I think women are seen more as servants in the marriage here. But I've been told they pretty much have to get married for need of protection since rap is so high. I guess if a women lives by her self, she will most likely get raped. I guess infidelity among married men (even Christian men) is high, but there is nothing these women can do about it. And apparently it's not talked about among women because it's happening to most women. That breaks my heart.

I can see why educating women can solve problems. I wouldn't say I'm a feminist, but I do not believe God designed women to be man's servant/slave or for women to be mistreated. We were made to be the other half- the helper, partner. God told man to take care of his wife and love her like Christ loves the church. And women to respect and submit to their husband. Ephesians 5:22-33. So I lift up this marriage to you that it will be lead by Your example, Jesus.

The wedding morning, Elisabeth mom came over and cleaned the house. I tried to help because I felt bad that she wasn't getting ready! I was told that Elisabeth's family stayed up all night to cook food for the reception. And the food was delicious! Now that is love. And to think the reception was so short. The wedding was supposed to start at 10am but Haitian weddings never start on time apparently and were were waiting for Robenson's Uncle and Aunt to arrive from the States. We got to the church at 1030 and there were like 3 guests hehe. I guess no one expects it to start on time. It started around 1pm.

Well, it gave me time to meet a Haitian who played the piano. So we practiced the songs so he would play with me. Robenson had me on the program 2 times so I sang/played "Be Thou My Vision" and "Come Thou Fount of Every Blessing." I didn't even worry about being nervous because I was doing it as a favor to them. I told me earlier in the week he wanted me to sing, and then the morning of I noticed I was on the program 2 times so I had to pick another song. It was my first singing solo. I think I'd rather play flute solos and sing in the choir. I have a good choir soprano voice, but nothing that stands out as solo worthy.

Haitian wedding ceremonies apparently are more like a production so it lasted 2 or 3 hours. It started with a long procession- a dance, the 3 girls dressed in wedding gowns, the children, the mom's, the groom, and then the father & bride. They sat in chairs up front. The best part was the 10-minute pep talk and cheers from the crowd before the kiss. Everyone was really into that part, it made me laugh. There was a choir and other singers. They had 2 vow exchanges, prayers, scripture readings, and lots of mini sermons to prepare them. Although there was no exit processional. It just ended and people headed to the reception. One thing I noted about not having just one photographer was people would stand right in vision site to get photos (and not move lol) so luckily Donna was up front so she got some good photos.

Oh, random thought again. One of Elisabeth's guy friends knows some English I think only through R&B and rap songs. So he was asking me to buy him some food, but putting the "F" word in like every other word. I don't think he really knew how strong that word is so I told him he shouldn't be using that word because it's not very nice. He said OK. He started using swear words at the reception too, so I asked him please not to speak to me like that. I wouldn't never do that back home to someone my age, but he took my advice and then wanted a photo with me lol.

We all ate and socialized some at the reception, but only for 1 hour or less. We left early, around 4:30 pm and went to the hotel. Except Robenson went off driving people back home so I hung out with Elisabeth until he arrived back at 9pm. We watched music videos, talked, and enjoyed the leftovers. Donna and I got to pillow chat some then before bedtime. I've really enjoyed getting to know Donna. Wayne is a nice guy too and I'm glad he could come see Haiti.

It got frustrating at times during the week, but that happens on vacations when your around each other non stop for a week. Plus the stress of preparing for the wedding. Donna and I kind of think that the two of them really don't know each other and so they are just starting to see each others' personalities. But the both were smiling the morning after the wedding, so that was good to see.

I went to their house and helped clean up and make passion fruit juice. I've decided I'm taking advantage of all the fruits and vegetables here that I cannot get back home (or they are super expensive). Plus then I'm supporting the Haitian businesses.

Oh, funny story too because I wanted purple earrings for the wedding. So Elisabeth took me to a stand and it wasn't exactly what I liked but I had to get it after she told the seller she was trying to charge me way too much. So the price dropped from 15 gourdes to 7 gourdes. Most Haitians will not stand up for foreigners when they are getting overcharged, but I think she did because she sees me as a good friend. I appreciate that and I think I'll do all my shopping with her!

It was a nice welcome back today because everyone was genuinely excited to see me. I guess there was tension this week. I'm glad to have Marc and Brian (the American architect) because otherwards I don't think I would enjoy it as much. They are good spiritual support, want to work as a team, and fun to be around. We did pilates together tonight. And we went out shopping. So much to do, so little time. I have been getting away from studying my Kreyol every night so I need to do that. But I pray for unity in our work tomorrow and that we will be leading our patients to You.


8/11/10 (1248)

I am glad for a functioning body to work. Eyes, ears, and a mouth to communicate. Knowledge to serve as a nurse. And for the ability to be able to slowly learn the language. I mostly hope to impact the women and children. Especially after learning about all the infidelity, I just have be even extra cautious about my interactions with men. But of course, I still need the male translators to translate and help me learn the language.


10/11/10(1307)

It dawned on me that no matter how many of the world's most magnificent world wonders you see, it won't even compare to what Heaven will be like. So for those people who will never get the opportunity to travel, they need not to be too disappointed if they have accepted Jesus as Lord and Savior because they will one day get to live in the most perfect place imaginable.

Today's lesson about Caleb's willingness to stand up tall in Numbers 13 really touched my heart (after 12 Israelite men search the promise land of Canaan and they see it is exceedingly good. But they are discouraged because of lack of faith in God's promise that they can conquer the land). The point brought up that it is very hard to be in opposition to what the large crowd is doing or saying (ie cheering for the opposite sports team if you are in a crowd) is so true. So in this story when everyone is grumbling and weeping, Caleb courageously stands up and announces the promises of God. I like that he did not argue or insult, but just asks the people to trust God and take action.

It's so true that he would have been so upset that he has to wait 40 years to enter the promise land because of other mens' sins and unfaithfulness, but he still stuck with the community and encouraged them. I know when trouble arouses in our own home church (whether sin, lack of faith, or disagreement), it's hard to stick with it. Not saying that we always need to stay, but maybe there are times we can stay and work it out. But it will be frustrating and hard at times and that's why it's easier to just move on. Grant us the wisdom to know the right thing to do in those situations.

I feel more back in the swing of things here. Finding my place and enjoying the patients/co-workers. There are so many little things that I will be different to adjust back to in the states: 1) Here I carry a vial of morphine (narcotic) on me. 2)Signing surgical consent is optional. 3) I often function as a nurse practitioner for minor things (like bowel regimen) & whatever else is needed (charge nurse, floor nurse, organize supplies). 4)The relaxed work atmosphere. 5) For the majority, the co-workers are nice and not arrogant or clicky. 6)Flexible work hours. 7) The patient's family doing half of the nursing care (for example, there is not a recovery room, so the patient in placed in the room and the family members do most of the watching, baths, turning/repositioning, etc). 8) Israel Park's loud music every night (he has a little bar down the street and there's no noise violation laws) and the school's music every morning across the street. 9) Ice cold showers (no matter how hot I am, it never feels good!). 10) the warm weather (at the point I return in February, I will not have felt a temperature below 70 degrees for almost 10 months). 12) the beautiful mountains and ocean. 13) the language!

Things I will not miss: 1) Mosquitoes. 2) All the trash all over the place. 3) All the unwanted attention from men. 4) The cold showers! All in all, I'm so glad to be in Haiti. I might not be doing anything grand or fix Haiti's problems, but it's just a learning experience for me more than what I can actually provide. Like the Pastor said this morning, we are all still a work in progress by God so we need to be patient with each other.


13/11/10 (1535)

I am so thankful for this sabbath day. Even though I ended up working taking care of patients past sunset, we then had bible study again on the roof. It was just what we all needed and the topic just flowed together. Even though we can't all leave the campus yet to live elsewhere, it's nice to have the roof to be a place to get away. It's cool up here and the view is breath taking. You can see the ocean and mountains. Lots of trees! And it's a good spot to watch the sunset and then gaze at the stars.

The week ended up with happy and frustrating moments. Thursday I spent half an hour sitting outside with Sondy (our 12-year old boy patient with an ex-fix and wound vac on his one leg that is shorter than the other). It was just so joyous because he hasn't been able to get around by himself now that he has the wound vac. He's been in the hospital 2 months now. He uses crutches to walk. So I could tell how happy he was for that moment. He also told me he is happy that I can speak Kreyol with him. And earlier on Thursday, Elinor and I were dancing in Mama's room (the 17- year old paralyzed patient). It's like moments like that that make your day and the patient's day. I hope they see God through it!

I'm learning to not be so uptight but just to go with the flow at work. It's fun to joke around at work and have fun with the patients. I couldn't do that back home at my last nursing job most of the time so it's taking time for me to learn to do that again! Unfortunately, all our long term pediatric patients have dwindled down to just Sondy. Friday was his birthday, but the little girl that shared his room left that morning. Sondy's parents rarely come in and so that girl's mom was the one caring for him and feeding him. So we came into his room Friday morning he was crying because he was all alone. It was the saddest thing! So the physical therapist's got him a wheelchair so he could get around by himself and we placed a patient in his room because he didn't want to be by himself.

Another moment that touched me with him is that I told him he could come listen to us practice singing on Thursday evening. I almost forgot to get him until close to when we were done. So I ran upstairs to get him and when I got in the room, he automatically put down his food and was ready to go. I'm so glad I didn't forget because that promise meant a lot to him. I'm learning that it's little things like this that count the most sometimes.

I thought I would be done early on Friday because we had no doctors, but unfortunately I didn't get done early so I didn't get to see Melissa or Elisabeth. A bunch of patients left though, so it was nice to have a calmer day. The new team just arrived in the last hour and I can already tell it's going to be a crazy week. But I'm thankful that the plastic surgeon is willing to remove my mole.

So I'm going to use this evening to watch up with Wilshaw and family. Sometimes I feel like I'm always on the go! It's nice to slow it down sometimes. Too much to do, so little time. I'm going to take some time out tomorrow to shop and cook food. I've lost 10 pounds already and I don't really want to lose anymore!

So some unfortunate news is that the Haitian government has been hiding the real number of cholera cases. They have been reporting less to the world than what the real number is. So far I've heard at least 12,000 cases and about 900 deaths. It's spreading all over Haiti like wildfire. And it's getting tense too because of the election coming up soon. In Gonaives this week, 50 cadaver bodies were burned in front of the Mayor's house.

Today, we talked as a team and that was good. It's what we needed because there hasn't always been teamwork. And it's unfortunate to see that the blancs and Haitians don't always work together. Marc has told me that many short term nurses (American) have been degrading to the Haitian nurses and doctors. Ugh...I don't know why we do that as Americans sometimes! Well, anyway that's all for now!

No comments:

Post a Comment