Saturday, November 20, 2010

Week 7

17/10/10 (1132)

Bonjour Savior! The days can get so busy, but I need to take time everyday in studying, prayer, and quiet time. I don't want to be so busy that I miss out on what matters. I need to daily die to myself and sinful desires, and instead let the Holy Spirit lead me. So I am taking this day to spend time with You & friends, study Kreyol, and rest my body. I hope I'm not being selfish. It's a little crazy how much they want to work! I'm used to working 3 long days, not 6 days! But Lord, there are so many Haitians in need of a job. They would like to work. Being here is giving me a different perspective on life. Help me to find my nitch to plug in and to connect. Life can easily feel empty and meaningless at times when we lose sight of You, but You give us hope and joy even in the gray of life.

Well, guide me today to do whatever You ask me to do. I lift up the health care system in Haiti, jobs, the sick, the homeless, and the orphans. This is a daily reality that you can't get away from in Haiti (well I guess you can but not as easily as in America). I pray for peace in the upcoming election. Lord, there is so much need, but the most important need if the truth of Jesus. I lift up those preaching or sharing the gospel.


17/10/10 (2306)


I thank You, God, for this day. The wonderful people I'm meeting. I am so glad that I have met Denise. She has so many connections in Haiti! We left for the beach at 1pm- and after much traffic & detours we arrived at 1530. What I noticed is that I'm recognizing places in Haiti now. We drove back a different way and I remember the gas station I ate at and the street Pastor Robenson lives on. Exciting!

It was a crowded local rocky beach. Nice to cool off because it was hot today. We enjoyed a wonderfully prepared Haitian meal. We watched the sunset and then headed back home in the private tap-tap. Funny stories- there was no bathroom so we had to squat on the cement floor in the women's bathroom because there was no where private to go. The driver was going 90 mph (literally because I looked at the gauge). We were stopped by the Haitian police to examine our passengers because apparently a bunch of prisoners escaped from jail during the political demonstrations and shootings today. But they let us go because our driver was not Haitian and did not speak English (he was from the Dominican Republic). We ended up driving by a political speech, but it was only talking at that times.

I loved the fact that I could understand the slogan “wi nou kapab” (Yes we can). And that I could ask the orphan boy sitting beside me some questions in Kreyol. I think he loved it and it was very exciting for me. Unfortunately, 3 people drowned in the flood yesterday (they were sleeping in the tents & the rain water pulled them under). It's been storming like crazy here- the roads are flooded bad. I praise you Lord for somewhere dry to sleep off of the ground. So I lift up those in tents!

Man, PaP is a busy busy and dirty place! But I know people are here because of need of jobs and better education. I pray that Your hand will be in the rebuilding of Haiti's infrastructure. May I add my drop to the bucket, but not get frustrated that I can not do more. Well, it's time for bed before a busy day tomorrow!


19/10/10 (2145)

I praise God for another day to live, serve, praise, have compassion, etc. The translators asked me why I smile often, and well I guess the only reason is because God loves me. I am hoping that I can use moments like that as a witness opportunity.

I am finding things to do and finding my place here. The thing that is crazy is living and working in the same spot and not feeling like your off duty. I guess I got used to not working as much at HBS Limbe. I miss the people, food, and workouts at the other place. But all the people would be leaving in December.

I am just trying to make the best of everyday and learning the language. Allow me understanding. I praise You for everything.


20/10/10 (1350)

I praise God for giving me peace, joy, and grace. Even though these 3 things may be simple, it is what's necessary. Myself being “happy” is not/should not be my goal in life. So I am just doing whatever work I can and learning what I can. I have to chuckle because the saying is true “The grass always appears better on the other side.” And I think that looking back things appear better than it actually was. Our mind plays tricks on us.

So I am refocusing on why I am here- and I hope to touch some lives. Well, it's time to open up journal #2 because this one is filled. So that's all for now!


20/10/10 (2300)

I feel all special with this nice new notebook. Lord, today I observed and learned many things. I usually just go with the flow of what is needed after morning rounds. Today, I ended up as triage nurse in the ER (which is more like a clinic than an ER at times). I practiced my listening and speaking skills, as well as taught the one translator how to take vital signs. I enjoy teaching others skills.

I watched the 1-month old baby with pneumonia while the other long term nurse Marc ate lunch. She worked as a NICU nurse for 5 years, so she's very good at it! I spoke with her for awhile. She is in the hospital 11 more months, so I'm hoping we can tag team on things together.

Tonight, we had a family style meal. It was interesting talking to one of the translators, Mac. He said he only knew basic phrases in English before the Earthquake, But, he said after the French and Canadians left Haiti, it was just the Americans. So he taught himself English since this past March. It blows my mind how good he is at it. But he made a comment that struck me. He said (paraphrased) Haiti is dependent on other countries for help because it is a poor country. He thinks that is why the educated people here speak 3-4 languages. He thinks because America is self-sufficient that the is why we really only need to speak our native tongue. His example of learning English is encouraging to me to learn Kreyol. As he said, “Practice makes perfect.”

At times I get discouraged here because we don't have a set work schedule. And it seems the foreigners are not meshing or working together with the Haitians as much. And having short term surgeries is good and bad. The bad is they come in fresh and want to do as much as possible while this is my life for a couple months so I can't be working 50-60 hour weeks.

Apparently another problem is the translators at times are degrading the Haitian doctors and they think that the foreign doctors (and nurses) are better. I hope that mindset changes because we certainty are not. We might have more capability to do things in America, but our doctors are not any smarter or better. They each know how to deal with what diseases & problems they get with whatever capacity they have to deal with it.

But Lord I thank You for providing more spiritual support here. It's late and time for bed!!

No comments:

Post a Comment