Saturday, November 20, 2010

Week 9

1/11/10 (0810)

I just realized I never finished my thought from Saturday. All in all, I was just upset about how rude and cunning this one person was to me on Saturday. But I have to let it go and not let the devil use these tactics to discourage me. I had such a spiritual filling Friday evening and I'm finally feeling fit in at this new place. I am with Donna and Pastor Robenson now for the week. Donna brought the box from my mom and I'm so thankful to have a bible study book again (I finished my other one). I am going to enjoy this one because we are studying background characters in the Old testament that don't always get as much attention but have a lot to teach us. They might not have as much written about them but they all had a place and purpose in God's time line. And that's how my life is- just a minor person in life but I still have my purpose.

Forgive me for wasting precious time by putting my selfish needs and desires over others unnecessary unmet needs. Forgive any bad thoughts or words about some of the American nurses. Allow me to bear with them in love. Forgive me for my sin of omission and laziness at times. Thank You for forgiving me and washing me clean. For another day to be alive and serve. Please fill me with the Holy Spirit to be able to do this. Help me to overcome difficulties and not get discouraged by it.

It was so exciting because I understand a little bit at church yesterday!! Yesterday we were driving around seeing things, but I was getting hungry. So as we were leaving the University to get food, Pastor stopped to just say hi to the Pakistan U.N. Well they wanted pictures with us and then offered us some of their food. The food was delicious!

Being here at the rented orphanage house is a reminder to how most Haitians lives-no car, only electricity occasionally, no running water, and very little money. But they keep going despite the heat, sufferings, hurt, and feelings of hopelessness at times. May You fill their void and give them hope. May the right President be put in place to make a change for the better.

Last night we cooked rice, beans, and sardines. It was so interesting because the generator would turn on/off based on how much power we were using and when the gas ran out. The lights would dim if we plugged something else in. We have circuit overload and occasionally lose power for a couple hours but we don't usually have to worry about having enough electricity to make dinner. But it was a delicious meal to share together.

If it weren't for the crazy amount of mosquitoes overnight, I would be sleeping well despite sleeping on the floor. Donna and her friend Wayne are nice and I'm glad to have this week to spend with them. It will take time, but I pray for this orphanage to get the funding that it needs. I praise You for the nice car You have provided for us. I praise You that enough money has been raised to send 15 of the orphans to school. Well, it's time to head up to see the children today.


2/11/10 (0933)

It was such a joy to be able to communicate more with the children. And to be able to talk to the caretakers. I wish it was easier to drive up to see the children, but renting a car costs way too much and the buses are not safe. I could ride the tap-tap in town, but I don't know about out of town. Plus I couldn't ride by myself. The general role of thumb is foreigners get charged double the actual cost. So I try to get my Haitian friends to buy things on the street for me. I had some street vendor food yesterday and it was good!

Wayne brought the kids 2 soccer balls and they loved it. I played a circle hand game with them again too. Then at dusk, I sat down and they all crowded around me- speaking to me in Kreyol and helping me practice the alphabet, playing my hair, and singing. This rejuvenates my desire to speak Kreyol because being able to talk to them makes a big difference. Kids will be kids at times, but overall these children are well behaved.

It was much cooler last night and I slept well! The weather is very nice today (Li fe bon jodia). Not too hot or humid. Donna and I shared the bed last night and I think I slept better because of that. I sleep better with someone in the room or house. I can see why little kids don't like to sleep by themselves. We left at 6am the next morning because Elisabeth had to be back to shop for the wedding. It's only a 2-hour ride with a good car and not much traffic. So it would probably be 4 hours to Limbe and 5-6 hours to Cap Haitian. The bus is cheaper than the plane, but can't risk it with the crazy driving.

I'm disappointed the election got pushed to Sunday, November 28th because that is the weekend I wanted to return to Limbe. I still pray that You will arrange it for me to talk to Steve James. Yesterday and today are holidays (Day of the Dead) so no school or government businesses are open. I am hoping that I can get my fingerprint done at the U.S. Embassy!


4/11/10 (0747)

I am thankful for this week to rest, relax, and reflect but Lord also prepare for this big storm coming in. I am glad for this cooler weather, but I pray for Your mercy on Haiti. It has been going through a lot throughout history- but especially in the last year with the earthquake and now cholera outbreak. A bad hurricane would be detrimental.

I am thankful for all that we were able to accomplish yesterday. Even though the U.S. Embassy said they would not do my fingerprint (I said they would not, but I am sure there is someone that is capable), and it was frustrating but I have to let it go. We saw the organization Food for the Poor- it's a pretty big, but organized place. Donna is a speaker for the organization, so she wanted to see how they operated.

We drove all over PaP- we went up unto the mountains where the rich Haitians live. It was a neat view of PaP, but very different environment. You could tell it was the lifestyle of the well-off. We even saw a Porsche dealership. I'm not sure where you would drive a nice car around PaP.

We drove back to downtown for the big market in PaP around 4pm. I'll admit I was a little frustrated that we had to go back out because I was asking the Pastor to stop when we saw what we needed as we were driving back so we wouldn't have to go back out into the traffic. But he wasn't really listening to what I was asking. But, I got over it and it was fun to interact with a 4-year old that rode in the car on the way back. Robenson used the car as a tap tap on our way back home. I asked her to sing for me and she did. Her mom was very nice too and she said "God Bless You" on her way out. The only guy in the car told Servilus that he should only be taking women and children when I am in the car.

We enjoyed another wonderful meal of rice, beans and zaboka (avocado) and mango for desert. Yum! It was much cooler sleeping last night with the breeze and I didn't get eaten alive! It was nice to talk to my family and Wilshaw last night. The phone has been out of minutes so I couldn't call them before. Although the phone kept going in and out with the generator flickering.


No comments:

Post a Comment